Initial development for veb(4), a lightweight Ethernet bridge for bhyve and vnet jails
- Reply: Zhenlei Huang : "Re: Initial development for veb(4), a lightweight Ethernet bridge for bhyve and vnet jails"
- Reply: Jan Bramkamp : "Re: Initial development for veb(4), a lightweight Ethernet bridge for bhyve and vnet jails"
- Reply: Pouria Mousavizadeh Tehrani : "Re: Initial development for veb(4), a lightweight Ethernet bridge for bhyve and vnet jails"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2026 20:02:08 UTC
Hello net@, I'm Aaron Espinoza, a 2025 GSoC participant. This past summer, I worked on an initial veb(4)-style driver for FreeBSD, and I'd appreciate some feedback from the community. Inspired by OpenBSD's veb(4), veb is a stripped L2 bridge aimed at bhyve and vnet jail topologies. It’s not meant to replace if_bridge(4). It leaves out features such as STP and pfil, and handles host membership through a dedicated vport interface. Code and docs: https://github.com/Acesp25/freebsd-veb docs/overview.md is the best starting point for why this driver was created, and docs/design.md lists each design decision with its rationale. I'll be presenting this work at the Fall 2026 Vendor Summit and would value the list's feedback beforehand, particularly on: - whether this work belongs in the src - the implemented approach for vport explicit host membership - anything in the design that may look wrong - what the best practices are for creating benchmarks against if_bridge(4) Best regards, Aaron Espinoza