Re: Performance of PPPOE in FreeBSD

From: Evilham <contact_at_evilham.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:48:50 UTC
On dl., set. 20 2021, driesm.michiels@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi net mailing list,
>

> Currently at my parrents house we have just a cable modem where
> I use DHCPv6
> and DHCP to get a IPv6 prefix and IPv4 address respectivelly.
>
> For this config everything is done in the kernel regarding
> routing. The ISP
> is Telenet and they give me 300 down / 20 up (mbps).
>

> But I really want a higher upload in my future appartment where
> I will be
> moving is *soonTm*.
>
> So looking for ISP's in Belgium, Proximus seems to provide a
> fibre plan (if
> fibre is available, but it should be) that does 500 down / 50 up
> (mbps).
>
> They use PPPOE and was wondering what the max troughput looks
> like with the
> in-base PPPOE client?
>
> I have also found some mentions of net/mpd5, is this a better
> implementation?
>

> Thanks
>
> Dries

I wrote my experience with PPPoE for a dual-stack FreeBSD router
back in very late 2019 here:
https://evilham.com/en/blog/2019-FreeBSD-eXO-router/ it might save
you some trouble.

Not much has changed since I wrote that, just as others mentioned:
mpd5 is kind of a must, performance gets much better just by using
mpd5. FWIW my home fiber runs at 600Mbps without any issues (only
limited by the wholesale provider).

Cheers,
--
Evilham