Re: pulseaudio / alc1220 sound clicks interruptions etc

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2025 23:15:57 UTC
On Tue, Jun 3, 2025 at 11:13 PM Amar Takhar <verm@darkbeer.org> wrote:
> On 2025-06-03 22:44 +0200, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the references on related issues! There is definitely
> > something wrong below on the new hardware support because also all of
> > the onboard USB controllers hangs occasionally, even when I was
> > writing this reply before. I did add PCI-E USB controller and this one
> > does not hang, music plays, etc. USB is another problem, that may come
> > from the same source - timings, delays, timeouts.
>
> You're welcome!  Have you tried booting into verbose mode and turning on sound
> debugging?  That should give you an indication.
>
>
> > After exhausting sysctl changes I went to BIOS and changed PCI-E 16x
> > configutation to be 8x/8x with NVME controller and problem seems gone
> > for now when computer is idle - using 24-bit sound with 96kHz rate
> > vchanmode=fixed, adjusted pulseaudio, rebooted, and no constant clicks
> > here. There are still small hangs for short periods on visual activity
> > when switching desktops launching applications etc.
>
> Yes this is just slowing things down it's not fixing the problem the pops are
> there I'm sure I did something similar and even if I couldn't hear them on a
> sinewave listening to the output it's very clear they are still there.
>
>
> > I noticed however a slowdown of visual smoothness (i.e. Blender,
> > FreeCAD, KiCAD, even gzdoom) after switching from PCIe-x16 to
> > PCIe-x8/x8, then got to nvidia-settings changed OpenGL Settings /
> > Image Settings from Quality to High Performance and things got
> > smoother but still not smooth as before. Maybe there is something
> > wrong with nvidia / gpu driver causing these issues?
>
> I also thought at one point it was the nvidia driver and it may be which would
> explain why playing video is worse but if I do it via a browser it's really bad
> playing from the commandline using say, mpv it's hardly noticable but still
> there.

After some short time I noticed the various hiccups are still here,
gfx seems like software render now, but at least there are no noisy
spikes in the audio just occasional hiccups / glitches.

In the htop I can see that all CPUs are changing their frequency
probably to save power and this seems to come from hardware itself. I
have powerd running too but without it problem still here.

Maybe some tuning of kern.sched sysctls may help? Have you tried them Amar?

-- 
CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info