Re: timeouts on USB ISP programmer

From: Axel Rau <Axel.Rau_at_Chaos1.DE>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:08:39 UTC

> Am 10.04.2022 um 23:59 schrieb Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>:
>
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 10:46 PM Axel Rau <Axel.Rau@chaos1.de> wrote:
>> root@home2l:~ # avrdude -c stk500v2 -p t85 -vvv -t -P usb
>>
>> avrdude: Version 6.4
>>         Copyright (c) Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
>>         Copyright (c) Joerg Wunsch
>>
>>         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
>>         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"
>>         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping
>>
>>         Using Port                    : usb
>>         Using Programmer              : stk500v2
>> avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)
>
> Okay, your local `~/.avrduderc` configuration needs an update. Remove
> all from file and put only this:
>
> default_programmer = "diamex-avr-usb";
> programmer
>  id    = "diamex-avr-usb";
>  desc  = "Diamex AVR USB Programmer";
>  type  =  "stk500v2";
>  connection_type = usb;
>  usbvid     = 0x16c0;
>  usbpid     = 0x2a9b;
> ;
>
> Then run:
>
> avrdude -c diamex-avr-usb -p t85 -vvv -t
>
> Configuration will define a new Programmer, that is STK500v2
> compatible (not FT2232), will provide VID:PID pair, and will tell to
> use USB connection as default :-)
>
> Because default_programmer is set to diamex-avr-usb it may not be even
> necessary to provide `-c diamex-avr-usb` just `avrdude -p t85 -t` :-)

- - -
root@home2l:~ #	avrdude -c diamex-avr-usb -p t85 -vvv -t

avrdude: Version 6.4
         Copyright (c) Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"

         Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : diamex-avr-usb
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

root@home2l:~ #	avrdude  -p t85 -vvv -t

root@home2l:~ #	cat ~/.avrduderc
default_programmer = "diamex-avr-usb";
programmer
 id    = "diamex-avr-usb";
 desc  = "Diamex AVR USB Programmer";
 type  =  "stk500v2";
 connection_type = usb;
usbvid     = 0x03eb;
usbpid     = 0x2104;
;
- - -
usbvid and usbpid are ignored:
- - -
root@home2l:~ #	cat ~/.avrduderc
default_programmer = "diamex-avr-usb";
programmer
 id    = "diamex-avr-usb";
 desc  = "Diamex AVR USB Programmer";
 type  =  "stk500v2";
 connection_type = usb;
;

root@home2l:~ #	avrdude -p t85 -vvv -t

avrdude: Version 6.4
         Copyright (c) Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"

         Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : diamex-avr-usb
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done.  Thank you.
- - -

Axel
ps: All this is inside a jail, but I see no difference on the host.
devfs.rules are
- - -
[devfsrules_jail_home2l=100]
add include $devfsrules_jail