Re: A simpler question

From: George Mitchell <george+freebsd_at_m5p.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 00:15:45 UTC
On 5/20/24 19:15, Alex Protasenko wrote:
> It's probably gtk/fontconfig issue. See if there's anything in
> ~/.config/fontconfig/ and try moving it out of the way.
Funny you should mention that.  Indeed, I had to create a fonts.conf
there to deal with thunderbird turning ligature-able sequences (ffl,
e.g.) into ligatures even for monospaced fonts.  I'll try moving that
away and see what happens . . .

> In my case thunderbird will show color unicode chars if either
> 'twemoji-color-font-ttf' or 'noto-emoji' are installed. They would look
> a little different depending on which one is installed, and it would
> prefer noto-emoji if both are there. Otherwise will show blank.
>
> Mousepad shows them only when noto-emoji is installed, no show for other
> emoji fonts
Well, I definitely have noto-emoji installed.

> Firefox has it's own bundled in
> /usr/local/lib/firefox/fonts/TwemojiMozilla.ttf. So might as well copy
> this file into ~/.fonts/ and see if that's going to help...
Okay, I've done that.  Now I'll restart . . .

Holy cow!  Something helped!  I'm going to revert my .config/fontconfig
change, because I think it was the TwemojiMozilla.ttf change ...

Yup, it was copying TwemojiMozilla.ttf to ~/.fonts.  It fixed both
thunderbird and firefox for me!  Thank you!  (And everyone who is
tired of hearing me rant about emojis thanks you too.)     -- George