Re: How to add -listen tcp to Xorg

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 03:38:46 UTC
In message <20240303200852.3d6e4ea6@ernst.home>, Gary Jennejohn writes:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:28:27 -0500
> Tommy Johnson <tjohnson@bobdbob.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 18:05:51 +0000
> > Gary Jennejohn <garyj@gmx.de> wrote:

> > > Well, it doesn't work now.
> > >
> > > I've never used xdm and have no idea what options it supports.
> >
> > I fixed the problem by editing the file Xservers in /usr/local/etc/X11/x=
> dm
> > to look like:
> >
> > :0 local /usr/local/bin/X :0  -listen tcp
> >
> > I am using xdm from .../ports/x11/xdm , as opposed to any of the
> > newer reimplementations.
> >

> That's great!  I was hoping that a solution like this could work, since
> it's similar to xinit passing -listen tcp to the Xserver.

For xdm, add -listen tcp to your Xserver specification, i.e., in
/usr/local/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers,

:0 local /usr/local/bin/X -terminate -listen tcp :0

CDE's dtlogin's Xservers file serves the same purpose

The moral of the story is, whatever your desired method of starting your
Xserver, check the man page. Most display managers will have a
configuration file to specify how to invoke the Xserver. I don't know about
gdm, kdm or sddm.

Normally one doesn't need to fiddle around with this as ssh tunnels X.
However, in my experience tunneling through an ssh session is slow. If
you're on a private network, like I am (I'm the only one using my network)
opening an unencrypted X TCP socket is fine. But if you're sharing that
network with other, i.e. work, school, etc., tunnel through ssh. The rule
of thumb is, tunnel through ssh.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>