Re: New to freeBSD and looking for guidance

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:53:07 UTC
Hi Sairaj,

Thanks for your interest in the FreeBSD project. We've been around for a
long time, and sometimes ideas on our ideas page are sometimes a bit old.

The Solaris Doors project was done a few years ago at
https://github.com/bnovkov/freebsd-doors so might not be a good choice.

I'm not familiar with the bhyve integration one. John Baldwin would be the
best person to answer that question. gdb works well enough for me, but this
one may still be relevant since I think it would greatly improve
performance.

Another idea in line with your virtualization would be to implement
virtiofs on FreeBSD. We have virtual network, block , console, etc, but not
virtiofs. This is basically FUSE over virtio channels, and  isn't too big
of a project that would let you use your virtualization experience and
learn about filesystems.

There might be other projects as well. This is the one that occurs to me.

Warner