Re: How to blacklist the nouveau driver on FreeBSD....

From: Mario Marietto <marietto2008_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 19:31:13 UTC
Hello.

I've asked for some clarifications on the Blender forum about the reason
why a part of the nouveau userland is called within the linuxulator,instead
of the nVidia one. You can read here :

https://devtalk.blender.org/t/why-blender-cycles-is-not-able-to-detect-my-gpu-s-and-cuda-within-the-ubuntu-linuxulator/27777

this is what he said :

I can’t give you full help with this, but I will share some information
based on what I can gather from this post and resources online.

   -

   Linuxulator appears to be some kind of compatibility layer. It’s not
   guaranteed to work with all applications, and CUDA is likely to be one of
   the application types it will have issues with. Maybe try verifying that
   applications that use the GPU work, then CUDA applications, then look into
   getting Cycles rendering working with CUDA. This may not be a Blender
   issue, but a Linuxulator issue.
   -

   Depending on how you installed your GPU drivers on “Linux”, you might
   not have all the packages required to run CUDA applications. For example,
   on some Linux distributions I had to install packages like libcuda1 and
   libnvoptix1 to use CUDA and OptiX on Linux.
   -

   As you pointed out, the error libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau
   suggests Blender is trying to load the nouveau driver. Typically when
   installing the Nvidia proprietary driver, the loading of the nouveau
   drivers gets disabled. Maybe the Nvidia GPU drivers weren’t installed
   properly? Or do you need to disable nouveau manually? Or is this just some
   issue with the Linuxulator?
   -

   You also have errors related to “opening a display” (opening the Blender
   GUI). This could be related to the GPU driver issue discussed before, or
   maybe you need to do a bit of extra setup to get GUI applications working
   in Linuxulator. Such as setting up a desktop environment within your
   Linuxulator?
   It also might be easier to test Blender with CUDA rendering if you
   started with command line rendering rather than GUI render.
   -

   Command Line Rendering — Blender Manual 3
   <https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/advanced/command_line/render.html>

Sorry if I’m unable to help much with this.

--
Mario.