Re: freebsd on an ebook ereader ?

From: Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 16:58:52 UTC
> On May 7, 2023, at 10:06, Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hello.
>
> any chance to install freebsd on some kind of ebook ereader like the kindle ? I just also need to have a partial tutorial already written. I can finish the project,but im not able to start it from scratch. let me know.

The reMarkable eReader looks like it would require some device porting, but it seems to fit the specs Warner mentioned in his reply (1.2GHz arm chip; 1GB RAM). Here’s a guide someone stuck up on github: https://github.com/reHackable/awesome-reMarkable .
If I were in your shoes, I’d invest some time into getting Linux on the target to inspect the full specs of the tablet and see where time investment was needed to make this work.         A quick search suggests Amazon Fire tablets aren’t easy to hack because of the bootloader, but there are some guides out there about hacking the android OS, so there might be a path forward if you’re diligent and patient: https://frontpagelinux.com/tutorials/how-to-install-lineage-os-on-amazon-fire-hd-8-tablet/ . My guess is that Amazon devices (including newer versions of rhe Kindle, maybe) are going to be a pain to hack because of custom bootloader code designed specifically to keep folks from installing unsigned/blessed OSes from Amazon.
HTH,
-Enji