Re: BHYVE_SNAPSHOT

From: Rob Wing <rob.fx907_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 19:25:12 UTC
On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 10:16 PM Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net> wrote:

> Yup. See above. I appreciate your input, but the goal of live migration
> was set in 2016 with a prototype first demonstrated in 2018. How long do
> you suggest a developer wait without review feedback before moving forward
> out of tree?

Yea..I'd say a submitter should receive feedback within a week (or so) and
when that passes, try rattling the cage of relevant developers to ack a
timeline. My comments for the live/warm migration review is to rebase it
after the snapshot feature is compiled in by default.

> Yup. That approach was attempted with the Warm Migration patches. From
> slide 17 in Elena's presentation:
>
> First review opened in 2021: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28270
> 5 reviews from 2022 starting with https://reviews.freebsd.org/D34717
> (same feature split in multiple parts)

I understand that, as a submitter, this is frustrating - to spend a
non-trivial amount of time preparing/submitting a review and then receive
no feedback, not even a "changes too big" or "nope".

For future reference, if UPB does another project - might be worth trying
to seek out a FreeBSD mentor that could guide the students and be willing
to usher the changes in, not unlike a GSOC project.