Delay in 14.0-RELEASE cycle and blocking items

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 18:14:49 UTC
According to the 14.0-RELEASE schedule, the code slush in main and the
freeze to the KBI for 14.0 was scheduled for April 25, 2023.  As some of
you may have noticed, that did not happen.

First, and most importantly for 14.0, is the status of the OpenSSL
update to version 3.  This in itself is reason to delay the schedule
until some tangible progress has been made.  Yes, some have expressed
interest in helping in this area, however at this moment, this is the
key blocker.

Second is the status of the branch and how it pertains to the recent
upstream merge from OpenZFS.  Although block_cloning is disabled by
default, there have been other regressions discovered (and fixed), but
as a whole, I do not feel that we have a solid understanding of the
regressions about which we do not know.

There is no feasible way we are going to make the branch point of
stable/14 in time, with that scheduled for May 12, 2023 with the above
points.  That said, this is not an all-inclusive list, but the more
major items on our radar at the moment.

A more up-to-date schedule for the 14.0 release will be published in the
near future, though nothing is yet set in stone.

Thank you for your patience, and for any help in getting us through
these outstanding items.

Glen
On behalf of:	re@