Re: cross build toolchains for mc68000

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:27:02 UTC
On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 5:10 PM Hans Ottevanger wrote:
> On 10/8/22 16:01, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 3:47 PM Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >>
> >> AFAIK gcc dropped this support so find out what version still supported
> >> 68k and download sources and simply compile it from scratch.
> >>
> >> For sure there are support for Amiga hunk and Atari prg executable format
> >
> > Thanks Wohciech :-) I would like to port NuttX RTOS as Atari TOS and
> > Amiga Kickstart replacement one day.. as for now I am researching
> > toolchains on FreeBSD as NuttX is close to 11.0 release :-)
> >

> There were plans to drop m68k support in GCC version 11 if certain
> required changes were not made. Someone made those changes, so after all
>   m68k support remained and is present and working, even in GCC 12.
> However, the number of readily available host/target combinations for
> cross compiling is quite limited these days, so you will be mostly on
> your own there.
>
> I made a cross development environment for Minix-68k (mostly Atari ST
> and TT), hosted on FreeBSD, but also working on Linux and Mac. Maybe you
> could use that as a starting point. It currently works up to GCC 12.2,
> for C, C++ and Fortran. See http://www.beastielabs.net/crossdev.html.
>
> If you need further discussion, you can contact me off-list.

Thank You Hans! That looks like a perfect bootstrap of the mc68k build
environment with results that can be verified out-of-the box! :-)

Have you considered moving your mc68k toolchain and maybe even Minix
to FreeBSD Ports so anyone could build is / install with pkg? :-)

I will send further questions in a private messages :-)

Thank you! :-)
Tomek