putchar in boot1.c adds extra blank lines on Xilinx ZYNQ board with U-boot 2020.04

From: Christopher Bowman <crb_at_chrisbowman.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 13:54:56 UTC
Looking at /usr/src/stand/efi/boot1/boot1.c

The bottom of the file has:
void
putchar(int c)
{
        CHAR16 buf[2];

        if (c == '\n') {
                buf[0] = '\r';
                buf[1] = 0;
                ST->ConOut->OutputString(ST->ConOut, buf);
        }
        buf[0] = c;
        buf[1] = 0;
        ST->ConOut->OutputString(ST->ConOut, buf);
}

On my platform this results in an extra blank line after each new line.

I’m running on a Xilinx ZYNQ board with U-boot 2020.04.

Does this blank line show on other platforms too?  If so is this the desired functionality?  Perhaps it’s needed for serial consoles to work right?
I’m running locally with the if statement completely removed and that fixes the extraneous blank lines I see.

Regards,
Christopher