Re: Please advice on applying GSoC

From: Joseph Mingrone <jrm_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 21:23:41 UTC
[Resending with my address that's subscribed to the list]

Hello!

On Mon, 2022-03-21 at 12:49, Soichiro Ueda <the.latticeheart@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I'm Soichiro Ueda, a university student from Japan.

> I'm thinking of participate in GSoC. I'm interested in the idea of eBPF XDP Hooks.
> Before submitting a proposal, I'm planning to send a patch to understand the source code of FreeBSD, and the idea.
> But I'm wondering what tasks should I tackle. Do you have any ideas?

We have an article about contributing to FreeBSD at
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/contributing/ or in Japanese at
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/contributing/ .  Perhaps the most
useful point for you would be '1.3. Work through the PR Database'.

To get FreeBSD set up, the FreeBSD Handbook will also be useful.
http://freebsd.org/handbook or
https://docs.freebsd.org/ja/books/handbook/.

> Biography
> I'm a junior in Kyoto University. I major in Compurter Scienece.
> I've worked for some internships as a software engineer. Now I work in a startup, developing a SaaS which automates quotation work in international logistics.

> Talking about experiences related to this GSoC project,

> I've developed a NIC driver from scratch for MikanOS, which is an operating system targeting x86_64 for people who learn operating system development.
> I've implemented protocols of Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP for MikanOS, and I've successed to send ping requests to servers in the Internet and receive responses.

> I've made a processor using Verilog and FPGA for practical in the university.

> Now I learn operating systems by reimplementing MikanOS.

> MikanOS: https://github.com/uchan-nos/mikanos
> My work of MikanOS network: https://github.com/Saza-ku/mikanos-nic/tree/nic

Thanks for your interest.  If you have problems getting started, please
don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Joe