Re: Absent Linux Libraries

From: Mark Johnston <markj_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 19:18:45 UTC
On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 12:51:48PM -0500, Jake Freeland wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm in the process of porting Intel's DRM driver testing suite,
> igt-gpu-tools,
> to FreeBSD and I'm not finding some Linux-specific runtime libraries in the
> ports tree.
>
> The two that I'm having difficulty with are
> * libkmod
> * libprocps
>
> I've tried querying the pkg database using the pkg-provides pkg plugin:
> `pkg provides libkmod` returns nothing
> `pkg provides libprocps` returns nothing
> I have tried different naming variations and none yield results.
>
> I don't want to rely on the Linux compatibility layer for these libraries.
> Am I out of luck or am I missing something in plain sight?

As far as I know, those libraries are Linux-specific.  A long time ago I
did a very rough port of that test suite while trying to track down some
bugs in i915kms, and I remember being able to simply stub out references
to those two libraries.  That might be harder to do today, or not.

It might be possible to port those libraries to FreeBSD and make use of
linprocfs since they both use (Linux's) /proc extensively.  But I'm not
sure how much work this would be.  I don't think the Linux compatibility
layer would help here unless you're planning on running everything under
the Linux compatibility layer.