Re: mandoc and volume titles

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 12:31:26 UTC
Steve Kargl wrote in
 <YqJ1VOcJYbXBg85T@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>:
 |On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 11:49:06PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Steve Kargl wrote in
 |>|.ds volume-operating-system steve
 |>|.ds volume-ds-8 kargl
 |>
 |> If you use ".Dt TDI 1", you must set volume-ds-1.
 |>
 |>|.Dd June 8, 2022
 |>|.Dt TDI 1
 |>|.Sh NAME
 |>|.Nm tdi
 |>|
 |>|% mandoc tdi.1 | head -1
 |>
 |> This is mandoc Mr. Kargl.
 |% cat steve.4
 |.Dd June 8, 2022
 |.ds doc-volume-operating-system Steve
 |.ds doc-volume-ds-4 Kargl
 |.Dt TDI 4
 |.Sh NAME
 |.Nm tdi
 |Hi.
 |% mandoc steve.4

Well you can ignore totally what i say.  And you can mess up
software in the FreeBSD base system and introduce incompatible
islands whenever you want to.
I pointed out that the mandoc maintainer is currently having
a run, i think i saw .ds request fly by, and from that to
introducing up-upstream compatible handling of 20+ years old
mdoc(7) macros would only be a small step.

 |Having to install groff and adding undocumented .ds magic isn't the

This is not magic but decade old stuff, whether you like it or
not.

  #?0|kent:free-src.git$ git grep -i doc-volume-ds release/5.5.0~50784 |
    wc -l
  31

(I do not track anything before 5.5.0.)

 |solution for a FreeBSD base system functionality.  In fact, I think
 |it would be better to have the mdoc(7) package grow a .Vl macro to
 |allow the volume title to be easily overridden.

You can think whatever you want, and fill the remaining two letter
combinations until they are all gone.

Have a nice day.

--steffen