Re: mandoc and volume titles

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 22:33:56 UTC
On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 11:49:06PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Steve Kargl wrote in
>  |The first 6 lives of my file are
>  |.ds volume-operating-system steve
>  |.ds volume-ds-8 kargl
>
> If you use ".Dt TDI 1", you must set volume-ds-1.
>
>  |.Dd June 8, 2022
>  |.Dt TDI 1
>  |.Sh NAME
>  |.Nm tdi
>  |% mandoc tdi.1 | head -1
>
> This is mandoc Mr. Kargl.

Well, yes, that's what I've been talking about.

The .ds stuff you mention is not documented in mandoc(1)
nor the mdoc(7) manpages.  Adding

.ds doc-volume-operating-system Steve
.ds doc-volume-ds-4 Kargl

to a file does not override the volume title when using mandoc.

% cat steve.4
.Dd June 8, 2022
.ds doc-volume-operating-system Steve
.ds doc-volume-ds-4 Kargl
.Dt TDI 4
.Sh NAME
.Nm tdi
Hi.
% mandoc steve.4
TDI(4)                 FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                 TDI(4)

NAME
     tdi Hi.

                                 June 8, 2022

I gave mandoc a -V option to do the override.

% mandoc -V "Steve Kargl" steve.4
TDI(4)                            Steve Kargl                           TDI(4)

NAME
     tdi Hi.

                                 June 8, 2022

Having to install groff and adding undocumented .ds magic isn't the
solution for a FreeBSD base system functionality.  In fact, I think
it would be better to have the mdoc(7) package grow a .Vl macro to
allow the volume title to be easily overridden.

--
Steve