Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Jason Bacon <bacon4000_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:48:34 UTC
On 11/24/21 01:42, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> 1. updated kmod ports for point releases.
>
> we should be able to ship an x+1 RELEASE*and*  have the appropriate kmod ports available at the same time. I know that unplanned API breakage is rare, but when it does happen, its absolutely brutal for end users.

+1

The drm-kmod breakage with 12.x presented a big hurdle for
desktop-installer.  I added a temporary workaround to build the kmod
from source during both initial setup and updates with
auto-update-system.  This was really ugly and slow and goes against my
general policy of not covering up underlying bugs.  But I had to make an
exception in this case in order for desktop-installer to be useful at all.

--
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes
infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in