Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 19:23:04 UTC
On Wed, Dec 29, 2021, 20:16 Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 1:13 PM Michael Schuster
> <michaelsprivate@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Karel,

> What
> >>
> >> sorry for being late with those:
> >>
> >> 1) implement/port beadm equivalent from Solaris/IlumosOS? Make
> >> freebsd-update process more reversible by using proper boot environments
> >> and using ZFS snapshots.
> >

> > All of these have been in FreeBSD for quite a while - can't give you
> dates or specifics (port vs "builtin"), but I've been using them since at
> least 13.
> >

> Specifically, bectl(8)[0] has been in and mostly usable since 12.0,

bectl behaves slightly differently from beadm, which can be confusing when
you're used to beadm.
I don't have the specifics handy (although I was part of an email thread
about this), but decided to stick with beadm as it suits my needs better.

and more recently freebsd-update will use it to create a boot