Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Shawn Webb <shawn.webb_at_hardenedbsd.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 13:26:58 UTC
On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 04:31:50PM -0500, Shawn Webb wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 06:28:14PM -0500, Shawn Webb wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 06:41:01PM -0400, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
> > > Hello FreeBSD community,
> > >
> > > The Foundation is seeking suggestions for new projects to support.  What
> > > gaps in the Project are not being addressed by the broader community?
> > >
> > > You can read about past Foundation-supported projects at
> > > https://freebsdfoundation.org/our-work/projects/ and the Foundation's
> > > four main areas of focus in the 'Technology Roadmap' article at
> > > https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/technology-roadmap/.
> > >
> > > Right now we are gathering ideas.  We will send out a call for project
> > > grant proposals soon.  If you prefer to send your project ideas directly
> > > to the Foundation, we will be monitoring responses at
> > > techteam@freebsdfoundation.org.
> >
> > Hey Joseph,
> >
> > Thanks for sending this out!
> >
> > Here's just a few things I'd love to see:
> >
> > 1. wireless mesh support. this would go _a long_ ways for supporting
> >    human rights efforts.
> > 2. 100% llvm toolchain for base and ports. freebsd seems to already be
> >    going in this direction.
> > 3. jail orchestration in base. it's great that we have all these
> >    disparate jail management ports, but we lack a fully
> >    coherent/integreated solution. I'd love to see jail orchestration
> >    get the same love as zfs in base.
> > 4. tor browser bundle (port from openbsd?)
> >
> > That's at least what I can think of off the top of my head.
>
> Another idea:
>
> 5. Distributed Poudriere. I have a few systems that would benefit from
>    such a feature. For example, two ThunderX1 systems. And once I
>    resurrect our partially-dead ThunderX2 system, we'll have three
>    arm64 appliances in which we can build packages.

Another idea: Make unionfs stable and usable. unionfs is plagued by
quite a few issues. I'm currently running into a unionfs-related
kernel panic at ${DAYJOB} when building our appliance firmware. And I
have a major release happening in four days. ;-)

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer