Re: An apology about my commits

From: Neel Chauhan <nc_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 03:42:30 UTC
> It's your thoughts and care that count Neel, don't feel guilty.

Thanks!

> The responses you received could have been a bit more 'matter of fact'.
>
> What was *actually* important about the replies was 'we should be
> QA'ing everything and getting more than one persons eyes on things'.

True, especially for big packages like GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, Xorg, or
LibreOffice.

Sometimes, I get trigger-happy. But I really shouldn't, well unless it's
a hobby project on GitHub.

> Note (for everyone), some of the biggest impacts are caused by the
> smallest commits.
>
> The idea of a 'trivial update' needs to be related to the dustbin, and
> we're still hearing it often.

+1

I've had "trivial updates" that broke things, both in and outside
FreeBSD.

I've had code broken at my $DAYJOB, and that a Microsoft SaaS product
(not a household name product like Windows or Word, but still). I was a
major Tor contributor from 2017-2020 and had bad patches that broke
things or add bugs get in, and that with Tor being very
security-focused.

And hey, it's not like I'm pulling a University of Minnesota "research
project" where the goal is to intentionally add bugs to the Linux
kernel.

-Neel