Re: performance impact of various compression schemes on a zvol

From: infoomatic <infoomatic_at_gmx.at>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 07:21:29 UTC
On 18.10.23 00:33, void wrote:
> What's the perfomance penalty on zvols of compression?
> The impact on the host?

This totally depends on your data. I did some tests on our mailserver,
and for us it boiled down to:

*) use lz4 if performance is very important, and compression rate not so
much. We found that the impact of lz4 is so fast that our workloads were
quite faster than any test without compression, so I would say you can
set lz4 in any way (lz4 is very fast on detecting incrompressible data)

*) use between zstd-6 and zstd-9 (not too much difference in our tests)
if you want a nice balance where performance is not too much affected
and we reach a nice level of compression, however, of course your
definition of "maximum performance penalty" may be different.

You could check out lzbench.

Regards,
Robert