performance impact of various compression schemes on a zvol

From: void <void_at_f-m.fm>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:33:27 UTC
What's the perfomance penalty on zvols of compression?
The impact on the host?

I've searched and cannot find figures. I'm not looking for exact numbers,
more rather would zstd-9 or zstd-6 be better, more suited to zvol
(compression and speed) than lz4, possibly because it's more recent?
Or would no compression at all be 'best'?

In the example, cpu is E5-2690, ram is 512GB, disks are ssd
(these register as nda0 and nda1, as a zpool striped config)
The zvols are bhyve instances. The host is recent -current.
TIA for any tips.