Re: speeding up zfs send | recv (update)

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 17:09:07 UTC
On 22/02/2023 22:43, Freddie Cash wrote:
> [Sorry for top part, GMail sucks for replies.]
>
> If this is a LAN or private WAN where you trust the network, piping the
> send stream through netcat will remove ssh from the equation.
>
> That's what we switched to using once it became almost impossible to get
> the "none" cipher working with ssh on FreeBSD.

It would be good if I can run it without ssh overhead but I don't found
any example on the internet how to use Sanoid / Syncoid without SSH. It
looks like ssh is requirement and mbuffer and pv is optional.

> We use ssh to connect to the remote server and enable a netcat listener
> on port X, then pipe the send through netcat to the remote system on
> port X. That way it's logged and uses ssh for authentication.
>
> We easily saturate gigabit links between our ZFS systems using netcat.

Nice trick. Next time I will need to move fet TB of zfs data I will try
different solution instead of Syncoid to avoid slow ssh. Netcat or
direct mbuffer listening on TCP port seems better.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman