Re: Howto migrate a FreeBSD cloud instance to another one without native FreeBSD support?

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 18:19:21 UTC
On 26/12/2023 15:22, Michael Grimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do run FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE instances in OVH's public cloud for some years already. Now, I do need to migrate my FBSD instances to new instances (old ones are no longer supported).
>
> In the past one could create new instances running FBSD from the start, but OVH has removed that option. I do have used Ubuntu rescue systems in the past for my FBSD instances, thus I am familiar in using Ubuntu's OpenZFS functionality.
>
> Sadly, OVH doesn't offer Linux systems installed on ZFS pools. Thus I do have to stick to Linux systems without.
>

> Here are my questions regarding using Linux (Ubuntu) rescue systems:
>
> # What would be the closest equivalent to FBSD's gpart tool?
> 	gdisk, …?

> # Would it be possible at all to go for legacy booting of FBSD?
> 	gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
>
> # Or, would it be better/easier to consider UEFI booting instead?
> 	rsync /boot/loader.efi to rescue system
>
> # Are there other promising strategies for migrating feasible?

I know nothing about OVH and almost nothing about what kind of FreeBSD
setup you want to migrate (partitions, UFS vs ZFS etc.) but one thing I
can imagine in you situation is creating everything from Linux rescue
(partitions, formatting to UFS or ZFS, boot sector, rsync old FreeBSD
instance to newly created...)
And the second is: you can prepare small minimalistic FreeBSD image in
Bhyve / VirtualBox etc. make a copy of it with dd and then write it by
dd to your new instance's disk with the help of Linux rescue system.
Then you can reboot to a minimalistic FreeBSD system, enlarge
partition(s), use growfs or zpool / zfs enlargement and then finally
move data from the old instance to this new instance by rsync, or zfs
send, or whatever tool you prefer.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman