Howto migrate a FreeBSD cloud instance to another one without native FreeBSD support?

From: Michael Grimm <trashcan_at_ellael.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 14:22:48 UTC
Hi,

I do run FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE instances in OVH's public cloud for some years already. Now, I do need to migrate my FBSD instances to new instances (old ones are no longer supported).

In the past one could create new instances running FBSD from the start, but OVH has removed that option. I do have used Ubuntu rescue systems in the past for my FBSD instances, thus I am familiar in using Ubuntu's OpenZFS functionality.

Sadly, OVH doesn't offer Linux systems installed on ZFS pools. Thus I do have to stick to Linux systems without.

Here are my questions regarding using Linux (Ubuntu) rescue systems:

# What would be the closest equivalent to FBSD's gpart tool?
	gdisk, …?

# Would it be possible at all to go for legacy booting of FBSD?
	gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

# Or, would it be better/easier to consider UEFI booting instead?
	rsync /boot/loader.efi to rescue system

# Are there other promising strategies for migrating feasible?

Thanks in advance and regards,
Michael