Re: Need help with live system expansion (zfs+geli)

From: milky india <milkyindia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 18:52:44 UTC
On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 10:43 PM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 12:31 PM milky india <milkyindia@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry about that, again - I'm not sure what you mean by bottom-post vs
> top-post.
> >
> > Be that as it may - I read the geli man page. I was specifically warned
> against using "geli resize" since it may not work as expected
> https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/how-to-extend-zfs-geli-encrypted-disk-space-not-showing.86447/post-581642
> > Is this advise wrong?
> > > "The geli has autoresize flag which will handle the new provider size
> after gpart resize command."
> > followed by
> > > You are right, no geli resize needed.
> >
> > What would be the correct sequence of commands to fix this - Simply
> "geli resize" ? (the -s option seems to be additional, will it figure it
> out without providing s?)
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 10:20 PM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
> top-posting is where you insert your reply above the previous email.
> Bottom posting is where you insert your reply below it, like I'm
> doing.  The forum user said that you shouldn't need to run "geli
> resize" because the AUTORESIZE flag is on.  But as you can see from
> your "geli list" output, it's actually off.  So you need to run "geli
> resize".  The "-s" flag should be unnecessary since your provider is
> already online.  At any rate, you can try it both ways.  You might
> want to make a copy of /var/backups/ada0p3.eli, just in case you make
> a mistake.

Thanks - I hope I am bottom posting this as was expected of me.

So if I understand correctly the AUTORESIZE flag is present for adaop2 and
NOT for adap3 (which is the partition we are concerned about) - hence the
advice given to not use "geli resize" isn't applicable here. Am I
understanding this correctly?

> So you need to run "geli resize"
Is this the only command that I need to run to resize my geli partition?

> The "-s" flag should be unnecessary since your provider is
already online.
Ok thanks.

>You might want to make a copy of /var/backups/ada0p3.eli, just in case you
make a mistake.
Don't have the luxury of backup currently.

I suppose at the end of it - if this works - "geli list" would reflect the
size to be 458G? (vs 290G currently)
And that's the output I can trust to have solved the issue - or is there
more to it?