Re: Need help with live system expansion (zfs+geli)

From: Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 18:42:54 UTC
On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 12:31 PM milky india <milkyindia@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry about that, again - I'm not sure what you mean by bottom-post vs top-post.
>
> Be that as it may - I read the geli man page. I was specifically warned against using "geli resize" since it may not work as expected https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/how-to-extend-zfs-geli-encrypted-disk-space-not-showing.86447/post-581642
> Is this advise wrong?
> > "The geli has autoresize flag which will handle the new provider size after gpart resize command."
> followed by
> > You are right, no geli resize needed.
>
> What would be the correct sequence of commands to fix this - Simply "geli resize" ? (the -s option seems to be additional, will it figure it out without providing s?)
>
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 10:20 PM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:

top-posting is where you insert your reply above the previous email.
Bottom posting is where you insert your reply below it, like I'm
doing.  The forum user said that you shouldn't need to run "geli
resize" because the AUTORESIZE flag is on.  But as you can see from
your "geli list" output, it's actually off.  So you need to run "geli
resize".  The "-s" flag should be unnecessary since your provider is
already online.  At any rate, you can try it both ways.  You might
want to make a copy of /var/backups/ada0p3.eli, just in case you make
a mistake.