Re: ZFS on high-latency devices

From: Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 23:48:13 UTC
mbuffer is not going to help the OP.  He's trying to create a pool on top
of a networked block device.  And if I understand correctly, he's
connecting over a WAN, not a LAN.  ZFS will never achieve decent
performance in such a setup.  It's designed as a local file system, and
assumes it can quickly read metadata off of the disks at any time.  The
OP's best option is to go with "a": encrypt each dataset and send them with
"zfs send --raw".  I don't know why he thinks that it would be "very
difficult".  It's quite easy, if he doesn't care about old snapshots.  Just:

$ zfs create <crypto options> pool/new_dataset
$ cp -a pool/old_dataset/* pool/new_dataset/

-Alan