Re: SATA/SAS commands

From: Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer <me+freebsd_at_mathieu.digital>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 19:26:29 UTC
Hello Joe,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 12:10:00PM -0700, joe mcguckin wrote:
> Is there a tool that allows sending bare scsi commands to a drive? For
> example, if I wanted to activate the drive’s erase or format  feature
> or pull logs, etc.
> Or, is there something close enough that I could modify?

smartctl is your friend for logs and so on. Package sg3_utils is what
you'd want to erase and so on as it provides a bunch of tools.

For instance, here's what I used to reformat HDD from a Netapp appliance
to 512 bytes sector size:
sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/somedrive

--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer                        me+freebsd@mathieu.digital
            The sun itself sees not till heaven clears.