Re: Killing the vbox alias, or making it something different

From: Kubilay Kocak <koobs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 02:10:27 UTC
On 25/06/2021 11:26 am, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2021-06-25 05:51:06 (+0800),  linimon@portsmon.org wrote:
>>> On 06/23/2021 11:06 AM Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> I am saying vbox is an alias for emulation@ and nothing else, why not
>>> directly
>>> assign to emulation@ then?
>>
>> Hmm.  I think it didn't use to be -- that it was an actual alias for a
>> list of individual
>> email addresses.
>>
>> Again, if it can wait for a few days for bugmeister to deply a
>> mass-change-with-no-email
>> feature, that would be nice.

It's coming but its absence does not preclude re-assignment at present.

Let us know what needs changing once we figure out whats actually needs
changing. (modulo below)

> I went digging through the mail-svn logs.
>
> On 2013-10-16 decke@ requested vbox@ to be forwarded to emulation@
> because he was the only active person left on the alias.

This changed a while, but not that long ago.

Please update the vbox@ alias to the following recipients:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox

> It sounds like the alias only continues to exist to catch mail for where
> it's referenced.  Changing the references to emulation@ seems like it
> was the intended way forward 8 years ago.

There's been some ambiguity with respect to vbox / emulation /
virtualization addresses and what they've been, and/or *should*, be used
for.

We need to clarify that again, before any changes are made:

vbox: MAINTAINER for virtualbox ports and issues

emulation: MAINTAINER for linux emulation and qmu ports [1] and
mailing-list for same/similar

Note: emulation / vbox are different "teams" sets. the fact that
emulation goes to a mailing list and isn't as *explicitly* a "team" or
specific set of maintainers (people), is the main source of ambiguity here.

virtualization: default assignee, cc for bhyve, xen, aws, vmware etc
issues and mailing list for same/similar