Re: WITNESS not always working
- In reply to: Jonathan T. Looney: "Re: WITNESS not always working"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2026 19:24:52 UTC
On Sun, 13 Sep 2026, Jonathan T. Looney wrote: > On Sun, Sep 13, 2026 at 12:55 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb < > bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote: > >> >> >> Does anyone have any idea as to why witness may not do its job (sometimes)? > > > The most obvious place I’ve seen incorrect results has been when multiple > different locks use the same name. Is it possible that is a factor here? That may still be the case: for LinuxKPI I added https://reviews.freebsd.org/D59231 in order to remove NOWITNESS options; and for most we use mutex_name() and spin_lock_name() macros in those cases to have a unique "name ## file ## line"-name rather than the single "name"-name. I had mentioned some of this in https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-hackers/2026-August/006828.html already. My current problem, and I should have added INVARIANTS to the subject as well is that lock assertions also do not fire (as detailed in the first sentences of the original email). I am about to test a plain main without any changes and if that also fails will write a simple native kernel module to test some of this as I am trying to narrow down if this is a problem with LinuxKPI based things, with kernel modules, or something other random. It's the second time for a similar problem I haven't noticed anymore in months but I fixed before and completely forgot about it in a different branch. https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=298417 LinuxKPI 802.11 missing locks and rtw89 asserting them. Should happen each and evey time but it does not (for me) and frankly we get way too little reports for any stable branch that people would notice this. And I've been loading and unloading that driver at least 200 times in the last months as one of the rtw89 cards is in one of my test devices. The "hanging" observations in the PRs likely comes from the fact that upon the assert/panic and using any drm-kmod makes the system blank/hang and we do not get a ddb> prompt on the console or take 10-15 seconds before reboot. I know I added #warnings and #errors a few weeks ago to the compile to make sure the INVARIANTS code is covered indeed. I am just baffled; hence reaching out. -- For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before. [Mat. 24:24-25]