Re: Freebsd 14+ -- tcsh incompatible with terminfo

From: Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie_at_catflap.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 03:49:33 UTC
Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> wrote:

> actually it probably does affect "xterm"
>
> Checking the source, tcsh is expecting a termcap string, while data read
> from the terminfo database is going to be in terminfo format -- even if
> read via tgetent/tgetstr
>
> tcsh is expecting a termcap string, and in its EchoTC function it duplicates
> the termcap version of what's tparm in a terminfo program.
>
> (tcsh could be modified readily to use terminfo for the case you're describing,
>  but supporting $TERMCAP would be work)

Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply... from the ncurses man himself!

I *thought* I'd seen issues with just "xterm" but after posting the first
message, it seemed to start working, and so I doubted myself, but I must
have messed up somewhere!

What threw me about tcsh is it does mention terminfo in the man page and
the source, so I wrongly assumed the problem wasn't there.

Anyway, I'll raise it with the tcsh maintainers.

To the FreeBSD release folk, I think it's great that we're moving off termcap,
but is there a chance that base tcsh could be compiled with a private version
of the terminfo-less ncurses in time for 14.0-RELEASE, if a proper fix to tcsh
is going to take too long?

Thanks again, Thomas.

Cheers, Jamie