Re: Status of Alder Lake support

From: Amar Takhar <verm_at_darkbeer.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 05:33:52 UTC
On 2022-09-04 14:49 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 11:45 AM Amar Takhar <verm@darkbeer.org> wrote:
>
> My Alder Lake has only run CURRENT as it is most likely going to get graphics
> support and a fix for hte file system crashes first.

Mine is a i9-12900KF so no graphics card to worry about.

> Sadly, disabling soft updates does not fix the problem. I got one more VFS
> crash after disabling them. Still, a single dump while building around 1000
> ports is a huge improvement! Having soft updates enabled clearly makes the
> likelihood of a crash much greater. I have opened ticket 266145 on this problem
> if you want to see if this goes anywhere. Since it looks like a mix of
> performance and efficiency core will be hte norm from now on from both Intel
> and AMD, this clearly will need some attention soon.

Yes I had the same issues tonight using CURRENT as well.  Disabling soft updates
did seem to make it happy for a bit longer but once it hits something on the
filesystem it does not like it will consistently crash even across reboots.  In
both cases it was an rm -rf of a directory with a lot of files (70k).

I did update that ticket thanks for opening one.

Amar.