Re: Status of Alder Lake support

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 21:49:29 UTC
On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 11:45 AM Amar Takhar <verm@darkbeer.org> wrote:

> On 2022-08-20 11:36 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> <snip>
> > Wow! That's a little more disturbing.
>
> Especially since it's a i9-12900KF so I have a whole 8 cores disabled!
>

> > As to the audio issue, I've been having a similar issue for some time,
> > especially with Firefox using any of the available audio systems. Works
> best
> > with OSS.
> >
> > What I hear is not popping, but brief dropouts which I perceived as
> pops. It
> > sounds a lot like data rate mismatch where the audio is output at a
> slightly
> > faster rate than it is input.  As a result, the buffers empty
> periodically and
> > you hear a fraction of a second of silence.
>
> Yes exactly.  Sorry it's better described as clipping and that is exactly
> what I
> thought was happening too.  There were some suggestions in that ticket I
> tried
> to no avail.  It's almost like something is blocking the buffer from being
> filled.  The same issue happens when I use an external USB audio card but
> it's
> nowhere near as bad.
>
> After this many months I'd like to say I've gotten used to it but some
> videos
> are particularly bad so there is some correlation to what audio is being
> played.
>

> > This is not an Alder Lake issue as it's been hitting me on my Comet Lake
> > processor.
>
> Oh well that's good to know you should update that ticket (#263385) as
> I've only
> known Alder Lake to be an issue up to this point.
>
> Is this happening on CURRENT?  I'll upgrade for sure if I can use my E
> cores and
> avoid UFS corruption.
>

> Amar.

My Alder Lake has only run CURRENT as it is most likely going to get
graphics support and a fix for hte file system crashes first.

Sadly, disabling soft updates does not fix the problem. I got one more VFS
crash after disabling them. Still, a single dump while building around 1000
ports is a huge improvement! Having soft updates enabled clearly makes the
likelihood of a crash much greater. I have opened ticket 266145 on this
problem if you want to see if this goes anywhere. Since it looks like a mix
of performance and efficiency core will be hte norm from now on from both
Intel and AMD, this clearly will need some attention soon.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com