Re: Deprecating ISA sound cards

From: Michael Gmelin <grembo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:16:42 UTC

> On 20. Mar 2022, at 15:45, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On 19 Mar 2022, at 21:24, Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2022-03-18 09:08, Ed Maste wrote:
>>> ISA sound cards have been obsolete for more than a decade, and it is
>>> (past) time to retire their drivers. This includes the following
>>> drivers/devices:
>>> snd_ad1816  Analog Devices AD1816 SoundPort
>>> snd_ess     Ensoniq ESS
>>> snd_gusc    Gravis UltraSound
>>> snd_mss     Microsoft Sound System
>>> snd_sbc     Creative Sound Blaster
>>> I have a review open to add deprecation notices:
>>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D34604
>>> I expect to commit this in the near future, then MFC to stable
>>> branches and remove these drivers from main. Please follow up if
>>> there's a reason we should postpone the removal of any of these
>>> drivers.
>> This only hurts from a nostalgic perspective. Those GUS cards were incredible!
>> I have a board running freebsd that has 2 GUS cards in it running
>
> Exactly my reaction.  You can tell you’re old when drivers are removed from the tree for mainstream hardware that you never owned but wished that you could afford.

I’ll never give away my GUS classic/GF1 with full 1MB onboard RAM(!). It was too much fun to program and tracker/demo support was superb. Plus, red PCBs felt really 1337 back then.

That said (and assuming it still works), it's unlikely I would use it with anything else but DOS these days.

Cheers
Michael