Re: Accessibility in the FreeBSD installer and console

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 21:41:59 UTC
On Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 10:11:52PM +0200, Klaus Küchemann wrote:
> > Am 07.07.2022 um 19:32 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky org>:
> > The only argument I've heard from some non-sighted friends about not using FreeBSD natively is that ooh, MacOSX is so cool. It starts speaking from the start if I press this and this key. Is anyone here working on or wanting such a feature?
>
> Possibly they didn’t want to  be rude and your friends didn't tell you the other argument  :-)  : according to the corresponding wiki page FreeBSD doesn't natively support any audio output at all on your friends current M1 Mac hardware.
>  since quite nothing is currently supported you probably will first take over working on the Audio driver …..and of course USB  :-)

  I think a huge benefit that Apple would have is that they might be
able to guarantee some sort of audio speaker, period, since they
control the hardware that the software runs on.  That might be a big ask
on FreeBSD, but maybe if there was some relatively ubiquitous assistance
hardware, maybe doable.  But text-to-speech (and then WHAT language's
speech) is a big software chunk, audio layers seems large, and then
having to worry about the potential driver issues (while not being able
to see-to-hear any potential setup issues) seems huge.

  Everybody seems happy farming that out to the internet, except on
system setup you're not connected to the internet yet.

  Plus Apple has some deep hooks into the app-stack since you're
basically using their toolkit to make a graphical app, so they can
guarantee some potential for GUI-textbox-speech, where FreeBSD has a
hodgepodge of graphical toolkits (KDE, GTK, Gnome, etc).