Re: Accessibility in the FreeBSD installer and console

From: Klaus_Küchemann <maciphone2_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 20:11:52 UTC
> Am 07.07.2022 um 19:32 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> The only argument I've heard from some non-sighted friends about not using FreeBSD natively is that ooh, MacOSX is so cool. It starts speaking from the start if I press this and this key. Is anyone here working on or wanting such a feature?

Possibly they didn’t want to  be rude and your friends didn't tell you the other argument  :-)  : according to the corresponding wiki page FreeBSD doesn't natively support any audio output at all on your friends current M1 Mac hardware.
 since quite nothing is currently supported you probably will first take over working on the Audio driver …..and of course USB  :-)

> I mean it should be so much easier to text to speech our text based unicode console, than what MacOSX is doing, by tracking screen changes intelligently inside newcons in the kernel, and feeding that into a character device, that to espeak or whatever can read it.

nowadays called MacOS ( w/o the X)… as far as I remember even System7 Mac of 1984 had text to speech features
so it might be hard to convince a Mac users with such a brand new voice over killer app in native  FreeBSD ;-)-
but I would ask your friends who can judge that.

> --HPS

K.