Re: [HEADSUP] making /bin/sh the default shell for root

From: Lucas_Nali_de_Magalhães <rollingbits_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 18:01:25 UTC
> On Sep 22, 2021, at 5:38 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> TL;DR: this is not a proposal to deorbit csh from base!!! (…)

I'm used to see FreeBSD remembered as a traditional OS full of professionalism
and open to innovation. The front door for the BSD world and an OS that doesn't
copy Linux. But more and more I'm seeing that BSD will need a new front door
soon, that this OS is becoming more and more another Linux, that professionalism
is being left aside and that innovation is being undone and/or simply erased.
I wish I were about to write that it's the first time in a lot of time that I see a problem
being systematically recreated but this isn't true either. And I feel sad I'm being
getting used to this, too.

Mark Millard found that LLVM multi-threaded linker is buggy on Armv7 and reported
it in another thread. I commented on it, even. It wasn't mention in that thread that the
numbers there shows another problem recreated that must be solved again. The
processes there were killed *before* virtual memory started to being heavily used. This
goes against the intended use of virtual memory. If virtual memory isn't used it's lost
resource: a thing that must be removed from the system, optimized away. In that
specific case, virtual memory should have entered into place, being fully filled and then
the process will be killed. And just to be complete, the non-debuggability of LLVM were
a known problem of LLVM by the time of the discussions that lead to it's import in the
tree.

--
rollingbits — 📧 rollingbits@icloud.com 📧 rollingbits@gmail.com 📧 rollingbits@yahoo.com