Re: [HEADSUP] making /bin/sh the default shell for root

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:21:50 UTC
On 2021-09-23 09:40, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>> Quoting Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>:

>> Whoever wants is free to add other users with root pemissions is free
>> to do so.
>
> That is a zero sum argument.  Ie, same can be said about those who
> wish to have the current default changed.  Changing that default is
> actually going to require NEW special casing of any code that expects
> the now 30+ year default.  Those who DO like it changed, have already
> made changes to have it changed, so changing the default only adds
> to work for both parties, to me a net loss.
I'm well inclined to agree here. But my past expressions of such have
been largely been ignored. In *this* case; it's not a big affect for me;
as I roll out all my updates from build farms. So all my users are already
predefined, and their dot files are preserved. But still,
more changes == more work. :-(

Out of curiosity; has anyone actually done a real assessment to determine
the *actual* value of this (proposed) change? I mean in the end, do we
really know the cost to loss ratio?

--Chris