Re: Spam mail being sent via the FreeBSD mailing lists

From: Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 01:04:53 UTC
On 2021-05-26 22:50:57 (+0800), Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!
>>> I'm receiving these too. It looks like the servers are bouncing some
>>> of them just for me, even. And I'm receiving not just from this
>>> list; also from freebsd-hackers@ and ports@.
>>
>> postmaster@ is aware of the problem, we do not yet have a clear-cut
>> solution and we're investigating.
>> --
>> pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                    Now what ?
>
> I'm on most lists & also seen much spam lately.
>
> Changing Mailman list configs to only allowing postings from
> subscribed
> addresses could dump nearly all spam;  (I'm a Mailman admin elsewhere
> ).

This was how the majority of FreeBSD mailing lists were configured.
Most lists were set to discard postings from non-subscribers.  Some were
set to hold.  A few were set to reject.

> But @freebsd.org has prefered open lists for near all lists.
> Best only for the initial fresh- after- install- questions@, IMO.

This has not been true for a good while now.  Historically, nearly all
our lists were indeed open.  In recent years, we've made most lists
subscriber-only, with some exceptions and whitelists.

> List back end responses to eg isp@ & hackers@ have recently migrated
> from Mailman to Mlmmj, I guess that shouldn't directly affect spam
> protection ?  but it'd be interesting to know what advantage the
> migration might bring @freebsd.org ?

For one thing, running supported software means we can continue
upgrading our mailservers with fewer worries.  Mailman 2 relies on
Python 2, which has unfortunately become abandonware.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer