Re: drm-kmod kernel crash fatal trap 12

From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_iitbombay.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 23:16:22 UTC
On Jun 19, 2021, at 4:19 PM, Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org> wrote:

> On 6/19/21 2:21 PM, Bakul Shah wrote:
>>
>> You may wish to see if Andriy Gapon's method (LOCAL_MODULES_DIR, LOCAL_MODULES)
>> works better for you.
>>
>> I trust Makefile* to do the right thing with META_MODE and CCACHE (and if they
>> don't, it is a bug that would need to be fixed) so I personally don't see the
>> need to "rm -rf /usr/obj/*".
>>
> I have been performing the rm -rf /usr/obj/* procedure almost weekly
> since FreeBSD 4.1 and has kept me out of trouble for many years.  The PC
> that I use to update Current can build both world and kernel in under an
> hour with a clean object directory.  Performing a 'git up ports' and
> rebuilding the drm module before building world is not a major time
> consumer for me if I remember to do it first.

One final response in this thread!

# cd /usr/src; git pull
Already up to date.
# make -j8 buildworld buildkernel >& err
# grep 'built in' err
>>> World built in 132 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j8
>>> Kernel(s)  GENERIC built in 459 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j8
# reboot
# uname -v
FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #6 main-n247581-0bcd49c13ada: Fri Jun 25 14:45:59 PDT 2021

This includes drm-kmod. I had run the same 4 days back.

This is on a bhyve *virtual machine* (4 cores, 8GB RAM).
Its "disk" is a zfs file (pretending to be NVME) on a
3 year old ryzen box with 8 cores and 64GB RAM. The host
is running 13.0-RELEASE-p1.