Re: What happen to mailing list archives?

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 08:53:49 UTC
On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 05:43:01PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021, 5:29 PM Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 01:04:46AM +0200, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> > FreeBSD-net and then "Archives from mailman’s time", you get to a list that
> > brings you to https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/. So the
> > old archives are still reachable that way. (I still find the
> > docs.FreeBSD.org/mail page to be confusing).
> > >

> > There isn't an "Archives from mailman's time" link on freebsd-numerics.
> >
> > Hundreds of emails from me are now gone or sufficiently hidden that
> > I cannot find them.  More importantly, Bruce Evans often replied
> > with reviews of libm patch's I sent the list.  Those reviews and
> > his detailed analysis of the libm code are now gone or sufficiently
> > hidded that I cannot find them.
> >

> Bapt was working on this stuff today. He said something about the archive
> regenerating with the new software on IRC..
>
> Warner

What has happended:
plan A: we migrated everything off mailman/pipermail seamlessly with redirection
and so on. We patched the new archiver to produce the same file names has
pipermail

Plan A worked fine up to a limit, there was plenty of hand edition in the past,
we we decided to move to plan B which is what is happening now.

Plan B: We keep a frozen version of the archives up to the migration date under
the pipermail directory and have the new archives created in the archives
directory.

All the pipermail archives have been restored as they were. The new archives
receives in their index a new link to point people to the pipermails archive if
looking for older archives.

this has been done a couple of hours ago (before Steve emails) during a window,
of ~ 10 hours, the mailing lists which slow traffic aka the one which didn't
received any email since the migration ended up with an empty "archives"
directory (aka a 404), a file with explanation and redirection to pipermail has
been installed there.

Some work is still needed for the mailing lists which has been transformed as
readonly, this will be done in the next couple of days

Bapt