boot hangs after installworld at FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT main-n248198-72f7ddb587a

From: Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:28:48 UTC
I updated my FBSD-14 tree yesterday.

uname -a shows FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #5 main-n248198-72f7ddb587a.

Did a buildkernel and a clean buildworld yesterday.

This morning I booted the new kernel, did an installworld and rebooted
the new kernel.

Or, should I say, I tried to reboot the new kernel.

During boot I see the following outptut:

/

and the boot hangs.

The second line should have contained
/boot/test/kernel (I always install new kernels to /boot/test)

followed by lines containing the various modules which get loaded.

Luckily, I had a USB thumb drive with a FreeBSD memstick.img AND a
complete backup of the old /boot, so I could boot from the thumb
drive and restore /boot (but I moved /boot to /boot.bad before I
did that just in case).  With the restored (old) /boot everything
works.

Note that I use the 4th boot stuff and EFI is disabled in my BIOS.

I don't know just what is failing in the new boot binaries, but
sum shows that quite a few of them have changed.

As an aside I see the installation of armv8crypto.4.gz fail every time
I run installworld because make wants to put it under
/usr/share/man/cat4/aarch64, which doesn't exist.  I got tired of
having to fix that and restart the installworld and simply created
that directory.  Note that I always copy the contents of
/usr/src/etc/mtree to /etc/mtree before doing installworld, so mtree
should have created the missing directory if it were required.

--
Gary Jennejohn