Re: Any Cronyx Tau* (ce(4) or cp(4)) users ?

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:30:41 UTC
On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 8:54 AM Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org> wrote:

>   Emmanuel,
>
> look at this communication:
>
> E> And we're doing that just because the drivers compiles ?
> G> We are doing that because the hardware is still produced ...
> E> ... a lot of obsolete hardware that we've removed are still produced ...
> G> I'd be interested to see at least one example ...
> E> This was an hypothetical situation.
>
> I don't know what to reply here. :(

The standards that Brooks, Ed and I have been using in retiring drivers has
been
"Still relevant to FreeBSD". Although whether or not something was still in
production
is an input into that, it's not the only factor in decisions made.

While that standard is a bit vague, I'm struggling understanding the case
for these
drivers still being relevant to FreeBSD in the absence of documented actual
use,
let alone a use case that we can do a cost-benefit analysis on.

Warner