Re: Benchmarks: FreeBSD 13 vs. NetBSD 9.2 vs. OpenBSD 7 vs. DragonFlyBSD 6 vs. Linux

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 12:21:16 UTC
I can say that these  "micro" benchmarks are not  "so much" useful .
When such comparisons are made based on "abstract" views , they
DO NOT SHOW very much utility .

Over previous years I am always stressing that proper comparisons would be
based on  a "specified" workload :  Which distributions is more suitable
for that
"specified" work load ? Testing / benchmarking should be performed with
respect
to such criteria  , for example ,  continuously "a day work necessary for a
profession" ,
"a web server for a 'specified' task" , "a NFS server working for a
'specified' application" .

Then comparisons of parts causing significant differences may generate
useful
improvement possibilities .

When we see *BSD distributions as a single group , it is obvious that
everyone has its
own priorities to realize . The same is true also for Linux distributions .
Without taking such differences into consideration , reaching some
conclusions about them  would only be a waste of time .

With my best regards ,

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk