Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve_at_sohara.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:32:05 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:12:15 -0800
bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 09:34:00PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> >
> > "&" creates background processes that are still killed when
> > their parent tty or controlling process goes away. nohup
> > avoids that kill.
>
> Not sure what's going on, but if I use
> make buildworld &
> on one of my RPi* hosts and log out or otherwise drop
> the connection, the job keeps going. Maybe use of tcsh?

	It all depends on how the background process responds to receiving
SIGHUP which is sent when the terminal session closes. The default action
for SIGHUP is to exit but like most signals it can be trapped and a
different action supplied.

	It seems that make ignores SIGHUP (I've never had cause to check),
many daemon programs reload their configuration on receiving it.

	The nohup program catches the SIGHUP signals and ignores them
shielding the child process it creates to run the command it's been given
as arguments. It also redirects terminal output to nohup.out.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>