Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:12:15 UTC
On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 09:34:00PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> "&" creates background processes that are still killed when
> their parent tty or controlling process goes away. nohup
> avoids that kill.

Not sure what's going on, but if I use
make buildworld &
on one of my RPi* hosts and log out or otherwise drop
the connection, the job keeps going. Maybe use of tcsh?

> What was running on nemesis.zefox.com was its side of the
> ssh that in turn was attached to the shell that in turn
> was running tip --until those exited/were-killed on
> nemesis.zefox.com .
>
> But there is no information here about which of those was the
> one to start the failure on nemesis.zefox.com :
>
> A) Was it the tip process?
> B) Was it the shell process?
> C) Was it the nemesis.zefox.com side of the ssh?

I've put relevant excerpts from /var/log/messages from
ns2.zefox.net (the console host) and nemesis.zefox.com
(the terminal server) at
http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/tiptrouble/
They've been trimmed to the tip failure timeframe.

There is a link to a copy of nemesis's sshd_debug.log file at
http://nemesis.zefox.com/~bob/fbsd/sshd_debug.log
The file seems too big to search interactively via a
browser, but it might be possible to download it in
one pass and then grep locally. For some reason it
isn't timestamped in any way I recognize.

> We only know that the end result was lack of anything
> reading the pipe on nemesis.zefox.com : by then
> the ssh side on nemesis.zefox.com had stopped being
> set up to read the pipe.
>

> Did you look at /var/logs/messages [or the analogous linux
> place(s)] on "pi4 RasPiOS workstation"?  What, if anything, did
> such have from around the failure time frame?

I tried, but the naming is very different from FreeBSD and I
didn't recognize any obvious candidates. I'll look more later.

Meanwhile, the non-ssh-mediated tip session from
nemesis.zefox.com to ns2.zefox.net's console gpio pins
remains up.

Thanks for reading, and apologies for the cumbersome log
file presentation.

bob prohaska