Re: When will FreeBSD support RPI5?

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:56:28 UTC
On Jan 11, 2024, at 08:20, Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org> wrote:

>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 at 01:30, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> (While I normally use FreeBSD's U-Boot type of context,
>> My builds do have patches to allow RPi4B EDK2 use to
>> avoid the problems that I know to test for.)
>
> I'm curious how you were able to boot FreeBSD on rpi4 with EDK2 - I tried with both the FreeBSD package as well as the latest release from github. FreeBSD-14.0 stalled trying to initialise xhci while FreeBSD-15 gets a little further but also hangs before reaching single user mode. I'm wondering if perhaps I should use the dtbs from sysutils/rpi-firmware rather than the ones from sysutils/edk2@rpi4.

It has been a while since I last tested booting based on
a EDK2-based release from https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/ .
It looks like v1.35 is from 2023-Jun-05. At some point
I'll (re?-)try it.

I used the same style of having EDK2 on a microsd card and
booting my normal USB3 media. The RPi4B is configured to
first try the microsd card slot (usually empty for me) and
then to try USB. I do set things up in EDK2 for serial
console use as primary. (I only rarely connect video to
the RPi*'s that I have access to. Mostly I ssh to them over
ethernet and otherwise use the serial console.)

I've access to RPi4B Rev 1.1, 1.4, and 1.5 examples,
a mix of 4 GiByte and 8 GiByte.

I've never used sysutils/edk2@rpi4 to boot as far as I
remember. My EDK2 activity started long before that
existed and I did not switch.

The RPPi4B EDK2-based releases that I've used were from:

https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases/

But there are many releases that I've never tried.

I do use patches to avoid some reliability
problems with USB file I/O . The reliability
problems never interfered with booting and were
only systematically reproducible via generating huge
files. But the problems were originally notice via
buildworld/buildkernel oddities that involved
randomly corrupted files, but not many. The problems
are FreeBSD bugs/incompletenesses in an area not used
with most UEFI/ACPI contexts that FreeBSD supports.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com