Re: Freebsd on M1 Macs

From: Jason Bacon <bacon4000_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 01:38:55 UTC
On 11/26/23 17:52, Kyle Evans wrote:
> On 11/26/23 16:04, Jason Bacon wrote:
>> On 11/26/23 13:22, Joe B wrote:
>>>
>>> I know this is a longshot but I'm going to ask I know MacOS is a BSD
>>> but we all know it's very sugarcoated and doesn't look like a BSD.
>>>
>>> Question will real freeBSD ever come to the m1 Mac's. I got a 16 inch
>>> mbp with good specs just taking up space right now
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> ~ Joe B
>>
>> I assume you've seen https://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleSilicon.  Not sure
>> how up-to-date it is.  The wikis tend to lag behind reality in my
>> experience.
>>

> Yeah, this is a bit out of date.  SMP and watchdog bits are good, along
> with some subset of the USB ports (IOMMU is a WIP).  With the branch I'm
> working on right now, we can go full multi-user on a USB root.  Work
> stalled for a bit because there was a general disagreement with how we
> integrated parts of the interrupt control into the interrupt framework,
> but I've been given a vision recently of a clear path forward, so
> hopefully we can move forward with that and unblock upstreaming some of
> the other bits.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle Evans

That's exciting news, thanks Kyle!  I'm personally looking forward to
using Mac Minis / Studios as HPC cluster nodes.  They will be a
game-changer for small scale HPC, allowing for the first time some
serious computing power in a typical office rather than requiring a data
center.

I'll be getting back to work on the LPJS scheduler soon, so we have an
alternative to SLURM, which has become too complex and Linux-centric.

--
Life is a game.  Play hard.  Play fair.  Have fun.